St Edmund’s College offers sports scholarships to students joining at 11+, 13+ and 16+. These scholarships honour and celebrate exceptional talent in the main college sports.
Entries are encouraged from applicants who demonstrate excellence, talent, outstanding achievement and promise. In the St Edmund’s environment scholars are looked to as leaders who inspire other students with their passion, resilience and dedication. Sports Scholars are expected to represent St Edmund’s College in these sports at A team level as well as make a significant contribution to the extra-curricular sporting calendar.
We encourage our scholars to play for clubs and we will support this as far as possible. However, Scholars must always be available for College fixtures in the first instances, including Saturday fixtures. Occasional absence may be granted but this will be at the discretion of the Director of Sport and Headmaster.
The application will be considered by the Director of Sport and his team, following the review of applications, students will be invited to the sports scholarship assessment day. Applicants who are successful would not only receive the financial benefit, as a St Edmund’s College Sports Scholar, but immediately gain from the guidance and encouragement of specialist staff from the moment they arrive at the school, as well as wonderful enrichment opportunities.
Scholarships are awarded on merit and are not means-tested. All scholarships are reviewed annually. A number of sport scholarships are available each year. Those joining the school at 11+ may make an application as an internal candidate for the award at 13+.
|Age Group Criteria|
|11+||Sporting ability, attitude and character, athletic potential and academic performance are the key factors in selecting a sports scholar.|
|13+||Sporting excellence in a specific sport, personal qualities, athletic potential and academic performance are the key factors in selecting a sports scholar.|
|16+||Regional/national excellence in a specific sport, leadership skills/character, and academic performance are the key factors in selecting a sports scholar.|
Current students of the College and Prep may apply at any specific age group or could be invited by the Director of Sport and his team at any time during their school career.
|Specific Sport Criteria|
Applicants wishing to be considered for a Sport Scholarship should have a significant strength, county level (or equivalent) or above, in at least one of the sports offered at St Edmund’s College.
|Hockey||Standout player in School/Club|
|Rugby||Standout player in School/Club/County|
|Swimming/Athletics||County standard times/distances|
|Tennis/Badminton/Squash/Table tennis||County standard|
|Basketball/Netball||Standout club player/County standard|
|Golf||Below 18 official handicap|
|Once academically assessed, selected candidates will be invited to St Edmund’s College for a sports assessment. The sports assessment day includes.|
|1.||Generic ball handling and spatial awareness skills|
|3.||Main sport sessions in Cricket, Football, Hockey, Netball and Rugby (contact/non-contact as appropriate)|
|4.||Specific sports testing|
|5.||Interview or presentation to Director of Sport and other members of the PE dept|
Sport Scholar Expectations
- Be an ambassador for St Edmund’s College school sport through showing a commitment to all sports.
- Lead by example in all PE & Games sessions by wearing the correct kit, being on time and consistently applying all their efforts.
- Volunteer their time at two sporting fixtures throughout the school year, for example timekeeping at an athletic event or helping with a Prep school coaching session or event.
- Attend any/all of the S&C sessions at least twice a week.
- Represent the school in sporting fixtures alongside their external sporting commitments.
- Attend pre-season training, fitness profiling/testing workshops throughout the year.
- Significantly contribute to their sport through extra-curricular activities.
- Be coachable and willing to quickly implement given feedback.
- Have an excellent attitude towards learning both in their PE and Sport lessons.
- Demonstrate ambition and drive towards achieving a personal or team goal.
- Be able to make good decisions when under pressure.
- Be physically resilient and robust.
- Have positive emotional intelligence and are able to bounce back from setbacks.
- Be willing to take the lead by example to their peers.
- Have good communication skills.
- Have met the academic requirements of the school.
As a sport scholar you will enjoy:
- A sport-specific personal mentor alongside a peer mentor
- Fortnightly individual or small group technical, tactical and video analysis sessions
- Full access to the St Edmund’s sporting network, which includes opportunities to hear talks, lectures and seminars from leaders in their sporting field.
- Access to online podcasts with established individuals within the sporting industry alongside guidance and advice on a range of sport science principles.
- Guidance with goal setting and reviewing performances.
- Access to a strength and Conditioning coaching
- Access to physiotherapy and support with injury rehabilitation
A scholarship will normally be held for the duration of a pupil’s career at St Edmund’s College, subject to the pupil continuing to meet the standards expected of Scholars. A report is sent to individual athletes annually and a review with the Director of Sport and Headmaster takes place. Their continuance depends on attitude, conduct, participation and progress. If an athlete is deemed not to be following the expectations outlined as a sports scholar, they may have their S&C one-to-one session removed. If there is no improvement following further discussions, the renewed setting of expectations and a final discussion with parents, the decision may be taken to remove the Sport Scholarship.
For how to apply for a Sports Scholarship click here
To go back to the Scholarship page click here