Head of Department: Mrs H Fraser
GCSE Specification: Edexcel IGCSE A 4MA1
The following quotation from the National Curriculum gives an overview of the importance of mathematics.
“Mathematics equips pupils with a uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. These tools include logical reasoning, problem-solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways. Mathematics is important in everyday life, many forms of employment, science and technology, medicine, the economy, the environment and development, and in public decision making. Different cultures have contributed to the development and application of mathematics. Today, the subject transcends cultural boundaries and its importance is universally recognised.”
Within the IGCSE Curriculum, the structure of the teaching of Mathematics is separated into four areas:
The qualification is broken down and assessed in the following way:
- Two tiers are available: Foundation and Higher.
- The qualification consists of two equally-weighted written examination papers at either Foundation tier or Higher tier.
- In both papers a calculator is allowed.
- Each paper is 2 hours long and has 100 marks.
- The content outlined for each tier will be assessed across both papers. Each paper will cover all Assessment Objectives, in the percentages outlined below for each tier.
- Each paper has a range of question types; some questions will be set in both mathematical and non-mathematical contexts.
- The qualification will be graded and certificated on a nine-grade scale from 9 to 1 using the total mark across both papers where 9 is the highest grade. Individual papers are not graded.
- In the Foundation tier the grades 1 to 5 are available and in the Higher tier pupils can achieved grades 4 to 9.