(Required to start December 2017)
We require a motivated individual to lead and manage our dedicated team of domestic staff and to manage our Domestic Bursary service, which includes housekeeping, cleaning and porterage services.
The successful candidate will also assist in the management of College academic and hospitality events.
- Ensure that the College premises are cleaned to required standards making sure that cover arrangements are in place for holiday/sickness and utilising agency/contract staff as necessary.
- Ensure an efficient porterage function, both for regular workload such as collecting /delivering laundry, distributing incoming goods to relevant areas, setting up functions/exams etc. as well as ad hoc requests for furniture moves, rubbish removal etc.
- Manage the College Pest Control contract.
- Ensure the College general refuse and security-shredding arrangements are effective, meet legislation and are cost efficient. Manage and promote re-cycling wherever possible and arrange for receptacles and emptying. Arrange security shredding as necessary.
- Ensure the College laundry function is efficient and meets deadlines. Consider improvements to arrangements as necessary.
- Manage the washroom services contracts (hand driers, sanitary disposal, air fresheners) and consider improvements/changes to arrangements as appropriate.
- Arrange and manage window-cleaning services as necessary.
- Manage the Domestic Services staff, employing good people management skills. Allocate work on a skills/availability best-fit basis and prioritise workload to meet operational needs and deadlines as directed. Monitor staff performance. Take part in staff disciplinary/grievance issue resolution with guidance from the HR Department.
- Interview and select new staff. Ensure induction arrangements for new staff are completed.
- Recommend and keep a record of College issued uniform. Replace uniform on a fair wear and tear basis.
- Carry out first line appraisals for all domestic staff as required, identifying any training needs.
- Ensure staff receive and are aware of College information and notices.
- Receive and agree staff holiday requests etc. to ensure adequate operating of department and meeting of operational deadlines.
- Keep appropriate records and ensure completion of all staff holiday, sickness documentation etc.
- Lead/take part in team briefings as necessary.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that Domestic Services staff are issued and use all PPP equipment identified as necessary under activity risk assessment.
- Ensure that all activities have a risk assessment completed and working methods accord with such assessments.
- Maintain an up to date risk assessment file.
- Ensure that all machinery is properly serviced and tested, adequately guarded as appropriate and that only trained authorised personnel use it.
- Carry out regular hazard spotting exercises and take any remedial action.
- Ensure that appropriate action is immediately taken to warn and reduce access to temporary hazards caused by Domestic Services activities or otherwise .Ensure completion of the COSHH record of all materials used by the Domestic Services department.
- Ensure that manual handling regulations are adhered to.
- Ensure that within the practicalities of the premises the Domestic Services areas and stores are kept clean and tidy so as not to present a Health and Safety risk. Ensure maximum storage provision from minimum space and appropriate storage to avoid damage to stock.
- Outsourcing of works/services to meet emergencies, supplement the workforce due to operational needs or buy in skills not available in-house.
- Obtain competitive quotations for outsourced minor works and services as directed.
- Undertake quotation, analysis and recommend acceptance based on price/suitability/availability/service criteria. Source new contractors as directed.
- Manage contractors on site. Ensure contracted works/services are performed to time-scale, specification and quality.
- Foster good fair working relationships with contractors.
- Check contractor invoices for accuracy and code to correct project/cost code. Maintain file copies; deal with queries and pass-checked invoices.
- Maintain a directory of suppliers and source new suppliers as necessary. Carry out periodic price reviews to ensure price competitiveness.
- Order goods and services in good time to meet needs, having regard to availability/price/quality and the requirements of the job.
- Check supplier invoices for correctness and deal with queries. Code the invoice to the correct project/cost code.
- Maintain file copy orders and invoices.
- Ensure that regular stock items are always available but without overstocking, having regard to capital employed and storage space provision.
- Foster good fair working relationships with suppliers.
- In association with the Deputy Bursar, prepare an annual revenue budget and costings for proposed project works. Monitor and report against budget as required.
- Ensure effective verbal and written communication with relevant personnel, suppliers and contractors.
- Prepare such reports as may be required within the function.
- Establish an excellent and profitable working relationship with the Deputy Bursar, other members of the Estates team, external suppliers and advisors as well as all stakeholders.
- To organise and ensure smooth running of all events, external and internal, including parents’ evenings, prize-giving, open mornings, careers events, hospitality and ‘Friends of the College’ events.
- Proactively liaising with those responsible to ensure smooth running of events.
- To be on hand or arrange for someone to be on hand for assistance during these events
- Establishing and maintaining an efficient system of running the venue-booking diary. Ensuring necessary work (moving furniture, providing display screens etc.) is performed in advance of events. .
- To pro-actively take part in Calendar Meetings and help avoid clashes, too many events on same day/week etc., prioritising events as necessary
- Act as the focal point for outside lets and weddings etc. Ensure that contracts are issued as necessary in conjunction with Bursar and any fiscal arrangements are met.
- To provide appropriate Domestic Services support to the Director of Summer School in the smooth running of the summer school program.
- Ensuring all teaching and boarding rooms are adequately equipped.
- Implementing and overseeing an efficient cleaning schedule for summer school and ensuring sufficient staffing.
- Recording all time allocated summer school for budgetary purposes.
- Agree with the Deputy Bursar on an annual programme to include scheduling and delivery of all planned replacement fixtures/fittings in teaching and residential areas.
- Maintenance of College fixtures/fittings, including flooring and curtains and removal/replacement broken items beyond repair.
- Maintain and store/move as necessary stocks of exam desk/chairs. Ensure stock at adequate level for needs.
To have due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and to follow the child protection procedures detailed in the College’s code of conduct.
Undertake other duties of an appropriate leveI and nature as and when requested