St Edmund’s College is a leading provider of our own Summer School, which is one of the most successful and popular summer schools in the country and have been running this at our school in north Hertfordshire, outside of London for over 20 years. We have taken the decision, this year run a Spring School to ensure in these challenging times that students are well looked after, continue their academic focus, especially for those studying A-Levels and GCSE’s, through a structured timetable of study and activities.
The mornings will provide an academic focus for all students with younger students having lessons, in areas such as Art or EAL, and the older students having supervised study for their examinations. After lunch, there will activities with the option of continued supervised study for those in examination classes. The evenings will then have a further activities program and there will also be an off-site excursion on a Wednesday afternoon and a Saturday.
The timetable and the current activities/excursions being considered are in the timetable below. The critical consideration is the balance for those older students so that they have access to supervised study at this critical time; that will be built in at every stage.
We are also acutely aware of the difficulty with finding host families in the area and would, therefore, like to offer this opportunity to students from other schools. Our only requirements would be the following:
- Details of any dietary or medical needs from the Guardian (forms to be distributed upon enquiry of space)
- A brief character reference from their current school
- Confirmation that the student has not been outside of the UK in the last 14 days. If they have been outside of the UK then details must be provided of where and a decision will be made on a case by case basis based on the most up to date Government guidance.
- Students should be aged between 9 and 18 years.
- The Spring School cost is £2,500 for the Easter period (from 2.30pm on Friday 3rd April through to midday on Monday 20th April) plus £250 agent’s commission fee where applicable. This fee includes on-site boarding for the duration of the Spring School with supervisory staff and house parents on-duty 24/7, three main meals freshly cooked and served by our kitchens each day, a qualified nurse staffed infirmary, on-site laundry service, all academic and EAL content, materials and supervision as well as all social activities and off-site excursions. Please note that this fee does not include transfer to or from St Edmund’s College at the start or end of the Spring School.
- To secure your place a non-refundable deposit of £500 is required by 27th March 2020.
The situation continues to change daily and predicting what travel or quarantine procedures will be in place in four weeks’ time is almost impossible. We are also aware of a growing feeling amongst some parents that, with the situation in China hopefully improving, that may well be a safer place to go for the holiday. This is ahead of Italy now being on complete lockdown and word that schools in areas of Spain are closing for two weeks with larger lockdowns being possible. We are very aware however that guidance from the government regarding travel and isolation is only going to get stricter in the short term. We are blessed with a relatively isolated and beautiful rural location with excellent travel links and are therefore advising our students to stay here if they are in any doubt as to whether they can return – particularly those with examinations.
If this could be of interest to you and your students and for more information please contact Barbara Tucker email@example.com or call +44 1920 824331.